Choose safer consumer goods
Help us better understand consumer habits so that we can improve the effectiveness of our safety regimes. Please spare 5 mins to fill out this simple survey
Products that do not require a SAFETY Mark
Consumer goods such as toys, children’s products, apparel, sports and recreation products, furniture, mattresses and bedding and DIY tools, which are not regulated under other product safety Regulations, fall under the Consumer Protection (Consumer Goods Safety Requirements) Regulations (CGSR). Consumer goods under the CGSR do not require pre-market approval by the authority. However, they must comply with international safety standards such as:
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
- European Committee for Standardisation
- ASTM International
Regional or national standards may also be accepted for consumer goods that do not have applicable international safety standards.
The Consumer Product Safety Office does active post-market surveillance to reduce the impact of unsafe general consumer goods as soon as safety issues are discovered. Consumers may refer to the Product Safety Alerts and Recalls page for the latest news regarding unsafe consumer products identified in Singapore.
When purchasing consumer goods, consumers are encouraged to:
- Avoid making your decision to purchase any item solely based on price. Product safety is of equal importance in the consideration process.
- Research on the type of product you want to buy and gather tips on what to look out for.
- Check the product’s description, its functions and age recommendations.
- Buy from reputable retailers and when making an online purchase, check if the product meets safety standards and is suitable for local use.
- Check if the product comes with instructions and manufacturer/distributor information.
- Inspect the product you are buying for any damage. Look out for sharp edges as well as loose or missing parts.
Use products safely
- Read safety warnings and instructions on assembly, installation, usage and maintenance. Follow them strictly.
- Use products only for their intended purpose.
- Do not make assumptions on how to use a product just because you have used a similar product in the past. Always refer to the safety information supplied.
- Ask the seller for help if the product’s intended use or instructions are not clear.
- Assess if children need to be supervised when using a product.
- Assess if you need to keep a product out of the reach of young children.
- Stop using the product when signs of wear and tear such as cracks are observed.
- Do not use electrical appliances near wet areas and bathtubs, basins or other vessels containing water.
Click here for more consumer product safety tips.